Integrating Video Production into the Curriculum
|Video Production Title
|Stem Cell Research
3 Minute Commercial
Integrated with the Stem Cell Research Model
You must thoroughly research the issue, take a position for or against funding, and design a personal plan of action.
You must provide background information on stem cell research and the scope of the issue. Alternatives and guidelines should be presented. You must create a commercial based on your decision to support or oppose federal funding of stem cell research. Action plans will be shared with the class in a three minute commercial.
|Approximate Time Needed
270 minutes (90 research/write, 90 film, 90 edit)
|Curricuculum Connections/Outcomes MSDE VSC: Science Standards/Core Learning Goals
The student will recognize that real problems have more than one solution and decisions to accept one solution over another are made on the basis of many issues.
The student will communicate conclusions derived through a synthesis of ideas.
The student will apply the skills, processes, and concepts of biology, chemistry, physics, and earth science to societal issues.
The student will identify and evaluate the impact of scientific ideas and/or advancements in technology on society.
AASL: 1, 2, 3
MSDE MTLSS: 1, 2, 3, 4 (5 if Internet research is used)
ISTE NETS: 1a, 1b, 2b, 3b, 4b
CML Core Concepts 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Visual, Auditory, Kinesthetic, Tactile, Active, Reflective, Global, Analytical, Field Independent
- Script Writing
- Ability to work in a team
- Public Speaking
- Camera Techniques
- Computer Editing
- As a class activity, show a sample of the comericial
- Research topic
- Organize research
- Gather B-roll and stills
- of Stem Cell Ethics
- of significant historical figures/events
- Write script
- Students use information found in their research to write their script
- Plan production
- Think about where and when to film
- Who is performing? Who is running the equipment? WHO'S IN CHARGE?
- Shoot and compile
- Edit final product
- Use MovieMaker (or other software)
- Import the video from camera and/ or other sources
- Arrange video / pictures
- Add transitions and titles
- Edit audio
- Finalize and save
- Assign production roles appropriate to student needs and/or abilities
- Extended time
- Submit to a contest
- Peer critique and/or gallery walk
- Submit to BCPS Education Channel
- Upload to Safari or SchoolTube
- Embed in a PowerPoint presentation
- Add to electronic portfolio
- Broadcast school wide