Summer Reading Events
Summer Reading 2014 Kicks Off at BCPL Woodlawn: On June 4th, Edmondson Heights Elementary students, parents, and staff joined Baltimore County Executive Kevin Kamenetz, BCPS Superintendent Dr. Dallas Dance, BCPL Director Jim Fish and Staff, and "Sneaks" the cat at the BCPL Woodlawn branch to kick off Summer Reading 2014!
Science experiments energize Sparrows Point Middle students for summer reading!
School Library Summer Hours
Did you know that some school libraries are open on certain dates and times over the summer? Ask your school librarian about summer hours at your school library!
Summer Access to BCPS Digital Content and eBooks
- Students can read a variety of eBooks from their school's Destiny library catalog on any device with a browser and Internet connection. Students can log into Destiny with their BCPS username and password to access eBooks through Follett Shelf.
- NOTE: Students entering grades 1-4 next year can log into Destiny with their current BCPS usernames and passwords this summer through August 1st; their passwords are being reset beginning August 1st, and they will be receiving new, simplified passwords when they return to school.
- Students can also access our BCPS Digital Content-- including eBooks in the Gale Virtual Reference Library (featuring Eyewitness Books), TumbleBooks Library (Gr K-3), TumbleBooks Cloud Jr. (Gr 3-6), and TumbleBooks Cloud (Gr 6-12). Ask your school librarian for a handout with the home access Database Passwords!
|Sign up at any BCPL branch in person, or register online using the links below!
Elementary school students:
- The theme for this year's Kids Summer Reading Club is Fizz, Boom, Read!
- Online registration begins May 5th.
- Pick up a game board and packet at your BCPL Library beginning June 16.
- Read and enter to win great prizes!
- If you need help, see these FAQs or ask one of the Summer Reading Club volunteers at your local BCPL branch.
Middle school students:
High school students and adults:
- The theme for this year's High School/Adult Summer Reading Club is Literary Elements.
- You can participate in the BCPL Summer Reading Goodreads Group anytime between June 16th - August 10th.
- To be participate and be eligible for prizes, you will need to have a Baltimore County Public Library Card and post a book review.
|The following items were sent to school libraries on April 10th. School librarians will distribute these to students when they introduce the 2014 Summer Reading program, and may facilitate online registration beginning May 5th.
- Elementary schools - Fizz Boom Read! bookmarks with participation directions
- Middle schools - Spark a Reaction prize drawing entry forms with directions
- High schools - Litarary Elements bookmarks with participation directions
Additional Promotional Materials:
- Add links to this Summer Reading portal and your school's Recommended Summer Reading list (if any) to your School Library Website or Wiki.
- Promote participation through social media, morning announcements, etc.
- Use the Fizz Boom Read! video PSAs (in English and Spanish - Runtime 33 secs.)
- PSAs are also available via SAFARI Montage - search on 2014 Summer Reading; Elementary and Middle schools can also use these direct links:
Each of these creative videos presents a unique perspective on teen summer reading at libraries.
Free resources supporting the 2014 Collaborative Summer Library Program from Teachingbooks.net.
Summer Reading Program - Close the Reading Gap - Flipchart