Baltimore County Public Library Summer Reading Program
Baltimore County Public Schools’ Office of Library Information Services, and Baltimore County Public Library maintain a “Partners in Literacy” relationship. The BCPL Summer Reading Program is a collaborative effort to promote student academic success and promote reading as a life-long habit. Encouraging student to continue reading during the summer months, will prevent the "reading slide" as reported by Dominican University, Graduate School of Library & Information Science in The Dominican Study: Public Library Summer Reading Programs Close the Reading Gap. See the highlights of the study. See the highlights of this study. In addition, the Rand Education was commissioned by the Wallace Foundation to research the impact of summer reading. See the report, Making Summer Count - How Summer Programs Can Boost Children's Learning.
How The Program Works:
- Sign up at any BCPL branch or online. Click here for registration for elementary and middle school students; and, click here for registration for high school students and adults.
- Pick up a game board and packet at your BCPL Library beginning June 11, 2012. Click level to see the game boards for PreK, elementary, and middle. In order to win prizes, follow the directions and activities on the game board.
- Prizes for elementary students include the following: Blinking shoelaces; finger beams; blinky wand; shades. See picture of the prizes.
- Middle school students participate in a drawing by entering tickets for each 3 books read. Prizes include the following: iPod Touch; Amazon Kindle; iPod Shuffle; $25.00 AMC Gift Card; $25.00 Best Buy Gift Card; $25.00 Barnes & Nobel Gift Card; Hunger Games Book Bundle; Anime Book Bundle; or, Mystery Prize.
- Just see the summer reading volunteers for help. The last day to claim your prize is Friday, September 14, 2012.