BCPS Digital Content
Country Search Engines
- CIA World Fact Book...a repository of countries updated and sponsored by the Central Intelligence Agency.
- Culture Crossing Guide..."The Culture Crossing mission is to foster cross-cultural understanding and awareness by inviting the global community to share their knowledge and experiences with others."
- E-Conflict World Encyclopedia...country information from around the world for business, tourists, students, and teachers; includes background info, flags, current weather, and national anthems
- embassy.org: The Electronic Embassy..."provides information on each of the embassies in Washington D.C., with links to Web-based resources where available"
- U. S. State Department - Background Notes..."provides information on geographic entities and international organizations"
- Universal Currency Converter..."perform interactive foreign exchange rate calculations on the Internet, using live, up-to-the-minute currency rates"
Language Specific Resources
- AP French Resources
- French Language...a megasite of information and links on just about any aspect of the French language: grammar, pronunciation, translation, dialects, gestures, and much more
- French TongueTwisters/virelangues...tongue twisters in French with English translations
- French Embassy in the U. S....information on a various aspects of France: culture, tourism, education, news, trade, science, etc.; includes a special section for kids; the site is also available in French
- French Culture ...history, collections, virtual tour, and news of the country of France; site is available in French, Spanish, English.
- The Paris Pages ...cultural and tourist information about the "City of Lights;" site is available in French and English
- WebMuseum, Paris...a tour of museums all over the world.
- Italian Language...a megasite of information and links on just about any aspect of the Italian language: word of the day, dictionaries, grammar, translation, literature/authors, homework help, tests/quizzes, and lots more
- Cyber Italian...beginner, intermediate, and advanced levels of lessons, including activities and games
- Tongue Twisters/scioglilingua...tongue twisters in Italian with English translations
- Il Piccolo de Trieste... online version of the daily newspaper
- La Stampa ... online version of the daily newspaper
- Japanese-OnLine...language and math lessons including "conversational dialog, a translation of the conversation, vocabulary used within the conversation, grammar points, and cultural issues;" uses the premise of an American expatriate family newly transferred to Tokyo
- Japanese Tongue Twisters/hayakuchi kotoba...tongue twisters in Japanese with English translations
- Asian Topics: Noh Drama...introduction, history, structure, examples, and masks
- The Bonsai Site..."a detailed guide to bonsai, as an art, hobby, and horticultural practice"
- The Japanese Tea Ceremony (Chaji)...a detailed description of a traditional tea ceremony
- Joseph Wu's Origami Page...diagrams, history, paper and paper preparation, and links to related sites
- Spanish Lesson Exercises..." a series of language exercises for the purpose of facilitating the learning and teaching of Spanish in the Internet environment"
- Spanish Tongue Twisters/Trabalenguas...tongue twisters in Spanish with English translations
- abc (in Spanish)...an online daily newspaper
- CNNenEspañol (in Spanish)...the popular news service online in Spanish
- El País (in Spanish)...a daily national newspaper of Spain, published in Madrid
- el Periódico (in Spanish)...a daily newspaper of Spain, published in Barcelona
English as a Second Language
- Dave's ESL Café...information and links to help ESL and EFL students and teachers with the study of English
- The Internet TESL Journal..."Articles, Research Papers, Lessons Plans, Classroom Handouts, Teaching Ideas & Links"
- TESL/TEFL/TESOL/ESL/EFL/ESOL Links..."Links of Interest to Students & Teachers of English as a Second Language"
- TOEFL online...official website of the Test of English as a Foreign Language; includes testing locations and fees, test-taking tips, tutorials and practice questions, and more
- American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL)...professional development program information, educational resource directory, national standards information, plus links to affiliated organizations, resources, and standards implementation
- FL Teach...focuses on foreign language teaching methods, classroom activities, curricula, and syllabus design; contains an index to foreign language resources on the Net and provides access to specific teaching materials, such as handouts, lesson plans, syllabi, and software
- The Instant Access Treasure Chest: The Foreign Language Teacher's Guide to Learning Disabilities...includes information about assistive technology, attention deficit disorder, auditory deficits, dyslexia, government resources, learning styles, and teaching students with disabilities
- Language Learning & Technology...electronic journal that disseminates research results to foreign and second language educators in the U. S. and around the world on issues related to technology and language education
- Ñandutí: Early Foreign Language Learning...provides information about early-start/long-sequence foreign language programs to parents, teachers, and administrators; focus is on foreign language learning in kindergarten through eighth grade