3 The response demonstrates an understanding of the complexities of the text.
- Addresses the demands of the question
- Effectively uses text-relavant* information to clarify or extend understanding
2 The response demonstrates a general understanding of the text.
- Partially addresses the demands of the question
- Uses text-relavant* information to show understanding
1 The response demonstrates a minimal understanding of the text.
- Minimally addresses the demands of the question
- Uses minimal information to show some understanding of the text in relation to the question
0 The response is completely incorrect, irrelevant to the question, or missing.**
* Text-relavant information may or may not be an exact copy (quote) of the text, but is clearly related to the text, and often shows an analysis and/or interpretation of important ideas. Students may incorporate information to show connections to relevant prior experience as appropriate.
** An exact copy (quote) or paraphrase of the question that provides no new relevant information will receive a score of "0".
Source: "MSA Reading BCR Rubric for Grades 3-8 and 10" dated June 2003. http://www.mdk12.org/mspp/k_8/readingscoring_bcr.html