Benefits, Leaves, & Retirement
Benefits Enrollment

Changing Your Benefits

Your choices made during open enrollment are effective on January 1st and remain in effect through December 31st. Consider your choices carefully! You may only change your benefits election, for the remainder of the plan year, if a “qualifying life event” results in the gain or loss of coverage by you, your spouse, or a dependent. The new election must be consistent with that gain or loss of coverage. If there is a substantial change in the cost of the coverage or a change in the Plan, as determined by the Office of Benefits, Leaves, & Retirement, you may be able to change your election.  The “Qualifying Life Events” are:

  • You marry or divorce
  • You legally separate and the terms of the Separation Agreement permit a change in coverage
  • You have a child or adopt one
  • Your spouse or child dies
  • Your child loses eligibility for dependent coverage
  • Your spouse gains coverage under another plan
  • Your spouse loses his or her coverage because of a change in status (e.g. from full-time to part-time) or termination of employment
  • You change employment status from full-time to part-time or vice versa
  • You change employment status to a non-benefits eligible classification
  • You transfer to a new location that does not offer the plan
  • You go on or return from a leave of absence
  • You have a loss of coverage

Except in the case of birth or adoption, benefit changes take effect on the 1st of the month following receipt of the enrollment/change form and the necessary supporting documentation. This information must be provided to the Office of Benefits, Leaves, & Retirement within 30 calendar days of the event.

Continuation of Coverage While on an Approved Leave of Absence

If you are on an approved leave of absence from BCPS, your health plan contributions will continue to be deducted from your paycheck as long as you have paid leave (i.e. sick leave, vacation, holiday, etc.) available. When your accrued leave is exhausted or when you cease to be paid by BCPS, you must contact the Office of Benefits, Leaves, & Retirement to make arrangement to continue payment of your health plan contributions to ensure continued coverage.

©2017 Baltimore County Public Schools. All rights reserved. This site is optimized for 1280 display resolution and for use with the latest versions of most browsers.