Over the past three years, students from Milford Mill Academy have participated in clean-up projects along the Milford Trail, which parallels the Gwynn Falls.
After the recent flooding from Hurricane Irene and Tropical Storm Lee, an unusually large amount of debris and trash began to collect on the banks of the Gwynn Falls. On Friday, September 30, Milford’s Millers began their fall clean-up of the park in their community. Students removed 20 large bags of trash from the banks of the Gwynn Falls, the Milford Trail, and the adjacent community park.
These new Millers are involved in their community and their school. By the numbers, the clean-up project included five members of the choir, four members of the Student Government Association, three members of the varsity football team, two members of the morning announcements crew, and a class president. These Millers volunteered their time and efforts to better the Milford community and protect the natural resources which run through their neighborhood and by the school.
Like other BCPS schools, Milford reflects and serves the community
Baltimore County Public Schools are unique in the way many reflect the communities they serve. A look around the county reveals rural schools like Hereford High and their agricultural program, reflective of the communities of Northern Baltimore County. Or take for example the law program at Towson High in Baltimore County’s political center. In Northwest Baltimore County one school that reflects the community it serves is Milford Mill Academy.
The community of “Milford Mill,” is actually just Milford, Maryland. The “Mill” comes from the colonial mill of Milford, which was opened in 1728. Located near Pikesville, the Milford Mill name stuck with its surrounding community. Milford Mill Senior High School opened its doors to students in 1949, and the students adopted “Millers” as their nickname. A miller is an individual who operates a mill. Known for their hard work ethic and essential roles, millers were extremely important members of the communities they served.
Milford’s “Mill” and the hardworking “Millers” who operated it over the years were dependent upon the Gwynn Falls as an energy source to spin their mill wheel. That same wheel, which was excavated by Milford students in 1960, resides near the entrance to Milford Mill Academy. Without the Gwynn Falls, which flows directly into the Chesapeake Bay, there would be no mill of Milford. Today the colonial mill of Milford is long gone, but the spirit of the Millers remains.
These new Millers aren’t that different from those of yester-year. They are still young, full of energy, and hardworking, but their roles in the community have changed. Gone are the 24-hour working days, 7 days a week, however, these millers still care about their heritage, culture, and keeping their community a nice place to live.